A dear friend sent over the article, The Equinox and the Tyranny of Modern Time, yesterday. What in the world are we doing!!! We are killing ourselves, over what?! As the article says, "Your time — almost entirely divorced from natural cycles — is a new time." It is so true there has been a huge paradigm shift in this new direction. As a society we ignore our surrounding natural time changes and what effect that has on us. I know I'm guilty of chasing the clock and living within those seconds, minutes, and hours of each day. I don't know any other way to live, I've been programmed to function this way. I like being "on time" to work, events, or meeting up with a friend. I grew up with an example of someone that did not function well on the "on time" mentality of time. She was late quite frequently to my frustration. Looking back I would be quite angry and frustration with this person. Today I realize a couple things. One I had no control over her actions and two perhaps she was rebellion against the tyranny of modern time?!
The author asks what would your response be if you were asked, "What time is it right now?" Again, I'd have the programmed response, 5:27 pm. Why not respond with early evening or just before dinner? What does that 5:27pm really mean to me? I find it all fascinating and love the different perspectives!
I'm looking forward to the rest of the series by this author!

I think less of exact time these days but notice how quick that it is passing. I would like to slow it down.
ReplyDelete