Friday, September 16, 2011

Melody Beattie

I'm very grateful for this platform that allows me the opportunity to express me and what I'm experiencing, with zero guidelines. I feel a sense of great freedom to be able to put my feelings and thoughts into words on the screen. Although I will be honest, I enjoy putting a pen or pencil to paper to help express what's going on in my head but typing it out works too.

I am a grateful member of Al-Anon and truly believe in the program and experience the miracles of the program daily. The program has provided me with an incredibly strong base of tools that I can use for my recovery. I respect and follow the guidelines that Al-Anon suggests we follow to help with our unity as a fellowship. However, for me there are times when I need to branch out a bit and see what other helpful resources are out there that can aid in my recovery and growth. I have a tendency to fall into a rut, so it is crucial for me to see different perspectives to help recharge my energy. The beauty of all this is I allow myself to do this within my own program outside the rooms of Al-Anon.

This week I purchased a new book by Melody Beattie, "Codependency No More." Many of my friends have read her work and simply rave about her. I always encourage and listen to others suggestions in books, websites, etc, etc, but find it all overwhelming sometimes. Information overload. I eventually come around in my own time to encounter each of these amazing and inspirational resources. Although I want to say, I'm behind the times in picking up one of Melody's books. When in reality, it is exactly the right time for me.

I'm only a few chapters into the book and already wish I could take a day off of work to sit and read ALL day. That's not possible right now, so I'll settle for the short lunch breaks and moments in the evenings when I can take a break from life to emerge myself into the book.
What are you reading today, whether it's a self-help or not? Before I started to read this book, I finished reading the Hunger Game series!

 

3 comments:

  1. I like her a lot. I've been reading The Language of Letting Go as one of my daily readings for a few years now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Al-Anon could/would somehow approve CNM. I think it's one of the most important books in the recovery movement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished up Keith Richard's Life. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed by his self-centered attitude. But what did I expect from someone who has used drugs most of his life? No surprise there. Parts were entertaining.
    Codependent No More is a great book. I remember reading it when I was trying to understand what was driving me to obsess about others. The book helped me a great deal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and sharing your experience, strength, and hope. I love to read what you have to share. Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.