I had a busy, but wonderful weekend. Saturday started out rocky, I woke up with
a splitting headache. However, I was able to get rid of it to enjoy the rest of the day with
a dear friend. We drove up north to the annual Bluegrass
Festival in Prescott. It was a very relaxing and fun day! Great bands, delicious picnic lunch, and some shopping that allowed us to go home with some new treasures.
There were several great bands! I'll let them share for themselves.
We both really liked the Burnett Family.
There were several great bands! I'll let them share for themselves.
We both really liked the Burnett Family.
We also enjoyed Ryan Shupe & the Rubberband. They were very entertaining!
You can check out more about them on their website.
We did some exploring of the local shops and we did find some treasures! A quick back story. The beginning of the month, last time I was in Prescott for another event, I ended up purchasing a Himalayan salt lamp. I do believe in the power of the energy that surrounds us everyday. Welcome to my H.P. Anyhow, the gal that was selling the lamps at the craft show we stumbled upon was sharing all the benefits of this beautiful salt rock. I am by no means a scientist, so bare with me on the details. Basically this salt was created underground many, many years ago under the Himalayan mountains. The old compressed salt helps produce negative ions when heated up. I've also heard they work without being heated, but perhaps it works more proficiently being heated. Anyhow, her sales pitch sounded a bit suspicious, but the price was right and I was willing to give it a try.
I am by no means promoting this website or individual, I just found it easy to read to get the general idea about this beneficial wonder of the world. Take what you like and leave the rest. I encourage you to do your own research and see if it is something that will benefit you in your home or office.
I am by no means promoting this website or individual, I just found it easy to read to get the general idea about this beneficial wonder of the world. Take what you like and leave the rest. I encourage you to do your own research and see if it is something that will benefit you in your home or office.
H has been having a lot of trouble when he wakes up breathing and being stuffed up, so I figured the salt lamp was worth a try. If nothing else, we have a fancy night light! Well let me tell you, after only one night with the salt lamp plugged in sitting on our night stand next to the bed, he felt a difference the next morning! H was not a believer in the salt lamp or any "energy" for that matter, so for him to be impressed with the results, that is saying something. It's amazing how the salt helps purify the air and really helps us feel refreshed! I understand now why I'm drawn to the ocean, or any body of water and LOVE thunderstorms and rain storms. The powerful rejuvenating energy of negative ions.
Back to our trip this last weekend, I was sharing with my friend this wonderful salt lamp! She was intrigued. While we were shopping we found some salt lamps in a back corner of one of the shops. I brought two more home and she bought one for her office. I encourage you to check it out!
It was a spirit refreshed and refilled day! I love that each of my dear friends are good for my soul in different ways.
Today, I feel like I'm in a place of processing things in my life and the things that are happening around me. My boundaries must be shifting or I'm coming to a new layer in my recovery. There are moments this past week that I want to just simply sit at home and not interact with the outside world. Stepping over the sharp edge of isolation has been tempting. I will allow myself that quiet half hour or more, but then will reach out to a friend or family member, even if it is to just say hi. I don't want to allow myself to bleed to death by isolation! I need to realize I was grieving last week for things that are not. Most of the week I was attempting, subconsciously, to subdue that feeling of sadness. I'm grateful for my meeting last week that allowed me to realize I was attempting to stuff those feelings inside of myself and not allow myself to feel that sadness and grieve. Perhaps I need to do another 30 day visual gratitude blog to help me remember the wonderful things in my life and be grateful for what I do have today. Ha! That was a lot of work and I did find the journey beneficial. However, I think I'll keep it simple for now and explore that exercise for another time.
This post feels like a ping pong bouncing around, but that is sort of how I feel right now. The daily reading in Courage to Change was a good reminder for me, so I'd like to share that with you.
This post feels like a ping pong bouncing around, but that is sort of how I feel right now. The daily reading in Courage to Change was a good reminder for me, so I'd like to share that with you.
"Forgiveness can be just a change of attitude. I came to Al-Anon full of bitterness toward the alcoholic in my life. When I realized that my bitterness hurt me more than anyone else. I began to search for another way to view my situation.
In time, I came to believe that my alcoholic loved one might be the messenger my Higher Power used to let me know that I needed to get help. It is not fair to shackle her with credit or blame for the amount of time it took for me to pay attention to that message. I chose to tolerate a great deal of unacceptable behavior because I was unwilling to admit that I needed help. I did the best I could with the tools and knowledge I had at hand, and I believe that she did too. Eventually the message got through. I made it to the rooms of Al-Anon, and my life changed in miraculous ways. I don't deny that hurtful things were said and done along the way, but I refuse to carry the burden of bitterness any further. Instead, I am grateful for what I have learned.
Today's Reminder:
I will not allow old resentments to drag me down any longer. I am building a better and more loving life today.
'Forgiving is not forgetting, it's letting go of the hurt.' Mary McLeod Bethune"
I'm grateful I finally was paying attention to hear the message that I needed help and was willing to reach out for that help. That quote by Mary McLeod Bethune is one of my favorite in Courage to Change. When I can apply that level of forgiveness, it's a huge weight off of my shoulders.
Have a wonderful night bloggers friends! Bootcamp is calling bright and early so I better hit the hay. Sweet dreams.
In time, I came to believe that my alcoholic loved one might be the messenger my Higher Power used to let me know that I needed to get help. It is not fair to shackle her with credit or blame for the amount of time it took for me to pay attention to that message. I chose to tolerate a great deal of unacceptable behavior because I was unwilling to admit that I needed help. I did the best I could with the tools and knowledge I had at hand, and I believe that she did too. Eventually the message got through. I made it to the rooms of Al-Anon, and my life changed in miraculous ways. I don't deny that hurtful things were said and done along the way, but I refuse to carry the burden of bitterness any further. Instead, I am grateful for what I have learned.
Today's Reminder:
I will not allow old resentments to drag me down any longer. I am building a better and more loving life today.
'Forgiving is not forgetting, it's letting go of the hurt.' Mary McLeod Bethune"
I'm grateful I finally was paying attention to hear the message that I needed help and was willing to reach out for that help. That quote by Mary McLeod Bethune is one of my favorite in Courage to Change. When I can apply that level of forgiveness, it's a huge weight off of my shoulders.
Have a wonderful night bloggers friends! Bootcamp is calling bright and early so I better hit the hay. Sweet dreams.
I so wish we lived closer! I adore bluegrass and I'm going to a performance (not a festival, darn it) upon my return from WA!
ReplyDeleteI always love it when you share your recovery with us. Thanks.
very interesting about the salt rock. wonder if there is any truth to that. Sounds like you had a great time.
ReplyDeleteYour message about feeling your sadness really hit home. I have been feeling so sad about my addict daughter and I want the feelings to go away. I want to save her and I tried, but I couldn't. FEELING my feelings is so painful, but I need to work through my feelings, not around them via denial. In one way, I am getting healther, in another way, I am hurting more, but it is all progress. For that, I am thankful. Your blog has really helped me.
ReplyDeleteI have a salt lamp and I love it. I am a big believer in energy and a Reiki healer recommended it to me. Mine does light up. I work very hard at keeping my energy and the energy around me positive.
ReplyDeleteAh, grief and trying to stuff it. Grief hurts us in the deepest part of our being. It is not something that we can walk away from like a toxic relationship. It shows up and knocks us off our feet. After my mom died I sat on my love seat and stared out the window for about 6 months. Besides going to work, I read, went to Reiki and my grief recovery group. Even that got to be too much for me so I quit going. I really did not know what else to do. So I sat. The only time I went out was when I had to. I have been slowly emerging from my isolation. It has been hard. During that time I actually learned a lot but I am so grateful that I have had the courage to get up and go out into the world.