Friday, March 9, 2012

Being Gentle with Myself

Had a wonderful conversation with a friend yesterday. It meant the world to me to spend that quality time together talking. From the very first day we meet, my Higher Power has spoken through my friend and 99% of the time I hear exactly what I needed to hear.

The topic in our meeting last night was expectations. Always a good topic. When I hear about expectations, it makes me think of the saying expectations are premeditated resentments. Resentments are poisonous and I don't want to have any! This week I've struggled with a few things that have happened. In addition, I didn't realize that I had taken some of those actions of another person(s) personally. I realized after the meeting last night that my anger this week was the result of an expectation I didn't realize I had, and of course was not met! Nothing earth shattering, but need to work through it. I need to start by being gentle with myself and not beat myself up about falling into the expectation trap. My disease of attitude clings to the need to control the situation, so working really hard today to let it go. Focusing on the pieces I can change. Starting with my attitude.

I feel like I'm a pinball bouncing around in the machine this week. Hoping I will stop putting quarters into the machine to stop the game so my head will stop spinning!

Speaking of pinball machines, they have one for just about everything! Go Thundercats!



2 comments:

  1. Yes, be gentle with yourself...and I'll be gentle with myself too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for a great post. This is reminder to me to start being AWARE of my feelings. Through Al-Anon, I am starting to get in touch with my feelings, which is hard for me to do. I, too, will remember to be gentle with myself through the process.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and sharing your experience, strength, and hope. I love to read what you have to share. Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.