Saturday, August 20, 2011

Merry-Go-Round

I have many hobbies and passions in life. Many of my hobbies and unhealthy habits helped me survive for years living with a loved one that has the disease of alcoholism. I realize now that I busied myself physically and emotionally with a billion things and NEVER slowed down. Obviously, I struggled with my reality. About every 5 to 6 months I would have a mental break down and completely crash and burn. It would take me several weeks to get back up and be functional again in life. I did this merry-go-round for years, until I realized my life had become unmanageable. Thankful, today, I have the tools of the Al-Anon program to help me realize, I don't like riding the merry-go-around anymore, it makes me nauseous. :0) "Today I make a commitment to be honest with myself. By facing reality, I become someone I can depend upon." Courage to Change



This time of year, I really have to practice the basics of my program and keep things simple! It reminds me of the Monsoon season here in the desert. You can see the big beautiful thunderhead clouds on the horizon, that have the potential to bring havoc or a nice calm rain storm. Work is starting to really get busy and won't slow down until about December. The holiday season is fast approaching. Enough said. Also, lots of wonderful family and friends' birthdays to celebrate. Despite the potential craziness that could occur, I LOVE this time of year. In addition, I now have some healthy tools to use to truly enjoy today. I can remove from my life a lot of pressure this time of year puts on everyone. It's nice to still partake in these celebrator times, but not feel the pressure to do every little part or completely withdraw. Also, today I can say no to an event or task in a loving way and not feel guilty for not taking on the world or having the feeling of letting someone down!

2 comments:

  1. I miss the holi-daze craziness...I really do. Enjoy the Season! =) =) =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like staying busy and so enjoy the fall season. It is my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and sharing your experience, strength, and hope. I love to read what you have to share. Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.