Thursday, August 25, 2011

Finding My Voice


I've struggled with finding my voice my entire life. It is something I have to work on daily. The struggle is not only finding my voice, but then speaking up with a healthy voice. Next I have to determine what is the intention behind what I'm about to say. Yup, this one is tough for me to keep simple. Also, there are many different situations of when to use my voice and when it is best to keep my voice to myself. 

In a conversation when someone says something I don't agree with or like and I feel passionate about that topic or situation, it is tough for me to respond in a healthy voice. I have to try to ask myself, am I speaking up to convince them they are wrong? Attempting to control the situation to manipulate an outcome I would prefer? Ahhh, my illusion of control can so easier grasp me tightly and not want to let go. I am proud of myself though in speaking up at all and putting myself out there, because in the past I would of just let those thoughts stew inside me and fester into something ugly. Although, back to finding that balance with practice, if I don't have the facts to support my passion on a topic, for me I need to keep my mouth shut. 

Generally my entire life I feel like I've been the peace maker (diplomat or people-pleaser) and never spoke up in opposition of what is being said if I don't agree or if I believe something different. Also, I believe having a lower than average self-esteem has also affected my ability to speak up and find my voice. However, if I do find my voice in these situations and speak up, my next layer of struggle is my tone and the words I use. I can go from one end of the spectrum of completely ignoring my feelings to accommodate others by agreeing when I don't agree, to not being so nice and completely not listening to the other side while sharing why I'm passionate about the topic. It's a pendulum that swings back and forth. Maintaining a balance somewhere in the middle is getting easier as I build my self-esteem through the tools I'm gaining from Al-Anon. The more I practice, stumble, get back up, and try again, the more courage I gain to take that step again, no matter how uncomfortable it is for me. Today, I can be aware of treating myself with kindness and respect in these situations. Then in return, I generally can do the same to those around me.

"I will appreciate that all of my instincts and feelings exist for a reason. Today, instead of trying to banish these feelings, I will strive to find a balance." Courage to Change

3 comments:

  1. I've copied that quote "I will accept that all of my instincts and feelings..." and put it on my monitor. Too many days I am upset that I have "bad" feelings and try to avoid them or get caught stewing in them. If they're there for a reason (Which I can't see) then I should try to acknowledge them and then move on. A good lesson for today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to speak up and express myself. What I have to realize is that I cannot change another person's mind. I need to speak my opinion and then let it go. Badgering is about control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it Cori. :0) Letting go of that control little by little, Syd, is tough for me. But absolutely worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and sharing your experience, strength, and hope. I love to read what you have to share. Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.