Thursday, November 22, 2012

Turkey in the Oven & Silver Polished

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm grateful that H & I were able to host dinner for both of our families today. The Turkey is in the oven as I type. I started it a bit early, so H's cooking skill will hopefully save the turkey for our early dinner in a few hours. I have faith, it will be delicious! I did all my baking last night. As always I used my grandma's homemade crust recipe for all the pies and the pie cookies. I'm excited to try the apple pie filling my sister and I canned a few months ago. I got a little fancy with the crust, you can see below. And of course, my signature pumpkin pie! I made a couple extra to share with others. I have all the fancy pretty dishes out ready for the sides to show up with family. We do a potluck style dinner. I even polished the fancy silver! H & I have been busy bees cleaning up the house and yards this morning. Years ago when we would host all type of parties at our house, we would work together to clean up everything. However, in the past there was tension and anger lingering in the air because there was resentment that the other was not doing the activity correctly or the way the other would prefer it be done. All sorts of nonsense that we wasted our energy on. Today was better. Not perfect, but an improvement. I am thankful I strive for progress and not perfection on this beautiful day! I am making the choice to enjoy the gorgeous weather, sound of the water fall in the backyard, variety of music as H clicks through the radio, watching the hummingbirds zoom back and forth, watching the pups lounge lazily until family arrives, and take a deep breath of the scrumptious smell of the turkey cooking. I'm looking forward to having our entire family together at one time. It's been too long. I'm looking forward to giving a big hug to both of my little nieces. As the reading for today shares in Courage to Change, I had lost my spirit trying to conquer the disease of alcoholism. I'm grateful that my spiritual recovery has helped me regain my spirit and provided me with the opportunity to choose to enjoy the moment or continue to worry and allow my fear to ruin the moment.

Today's
Reminder

I am a spiritual creature, capable of faith, hope, and an appreciation of beauty. I have an unlimited source of strength and comfort at my disposal. today I will take the time to cultivate that spiritual connection.
Used my stone pie dish


Famous family pie cookies! Yum... hope I don't eat them all before everyone gets here ;0)







2 comments:

  1. Pie cookies? Oh my. I don't believe that I could resist those. I've never heard of anything quite like that. But YUMMY! All your baking looks wonderful. I'm a good cook, but my sister is the baker in the family. Truly an art!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you had a wonderful day. I've missed being here at your blog. Your food looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and sharing your experience, strength, and hope. I love to read what you have to share. Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.