Thursday, December 22, 2011

Clean Window

View from a bright and clean window in Hawaii
Today I read, "Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." I like that quote. It's interesting, I'm a very "tidy" and organized person in a lot of aspects of my life, especially my home. But literally I'm terrible at cleaning my house windows. In fact, it's probably been a couple of years since I've washed them. Yikes!! Metaphorically for many years I believe I had the same terrible lack of discipline with my physical, emotional, and spiritual windows. I was completely absorbed with everyone else's well-being and on a mission to fix and take care of anyone and everyone. The last couple of years I've been able to clean up and install new windows. This new perspective helps me evaluate and keep in check my own physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being each day. It's refreshing to not let other people's worries and troubles cloud my view through my windows.

I can take time for myself when I'm feeling overwhelmed. I can also take time to simply enjoy doing something I like to do, just because. I can ask for a hug from a dear friend or family member when I need one. In the past, most of my days were filled with negative thinking that caused me to drown in my self-pity, fear, and anger. I'm slowing replacing that negative thinking with gratitude. It takes practice, but when I'm able to keep my thinking positive, or even neutral, I feel much more at peace.


Here's to a refreshing new view today!

3 comments:

  1. I thought your metaphor of the windows was really good. I, too, want to fix everyone and everything around me and am working at letting go and letting God. It is my daughter who is an alcoholic (with mental health issues) and I struggle with letting go and letting God. Her momentum is upward now, so that I am able to concentrate on myself more. The challenge for me is to focus on myself when she is in crisi. One day at a time, I remind myself. I love your blog because I can so relate to your feelings. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by Anonymous! I tried sending you a response via email, but can't seem to do that. Taking one day at a time can be such a relief. Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that I don't have to look through a glass darkly anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and sharing your experience, strength, and hope. I love to read what you have to share. Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.